Modeled after Neighborhood Watch, Business Watch takes the “neighbors looking out for neighbors” concept to the commercial level, creating a partnership between business, law enforcement, and other organizations that represent business interests. The Business Watch philosophy is straightforward. Lessen your chances of becoming a victim through preparedness and improved evidence production. Programs vary according to need; however, successful groups adhere to fundamental steps that will be taught at the sessions. The philosophy of the program is, “If you don’t mind your business, criminals will!”
We are pleased to partner with ASIS to bring you a complete group of experts that can help you gain the knowledge you need to make your business safe. ASIS International is a global community of more than 38,000 security practitioners, each of whom has a role in the protection of assets – people, property, and/or information. ASIS members represent virtually every industry in the public and private sectors, and organizations of all sizes. From entry-level managers to CSOs to CEOs, from security veterans to consultants and those transitioning from law enforcement or the military, the ASIS community is global and diverse. ASIS will be doing a drawing for a free camera system at the meeting!
This gathering will be the first of many regular events for business owners to meet with the staff of the Gulfport Police Department and share ideas on how to combat crime that affects local businesses and ultimately affects us all. It will also serve as a starting point for any un-represented businesses to start a Business Watch in Gulfport. Participating businesses can also request an onsite assessment to establish best practices in their security. If you have any questions please feel free to call the Community Relations Division at (228)868-5703 or email email@example.com.
Modeled after Neighborhood Watch, Business Watch takes the “neighbors looking out for neighbors” concept to the commercial level, creating a partnership between business, law enforcement, and other organizations that represent business interests. The Business Watch philosophy is straightforward, take control of what happens in your business community and lessen your chances of becoming a victim.
Business Watches actively reduces and prevents crime through cooperation and education. Programs vary according to need; however, successful groups adhere to these fundamental steps:
- Promote communication and understanding between law enforcement and business
- Encourage and enhance cooperation among merchants
- Teach merchants to crime-proof their own properties, watch over neighboring businesses and document and report suspicious activity
- Develop a telephone tree and/or email distribution list to quickly disseminate information about area crime
- Develop signals to activate in adjacent businesses when someone needs help
Benefits of joining Business Watch
- Security inspections of your business property
- Information on video surveillance equipment
- Community Business Safety Seminars
- Coordinated assistance with other City departments as needed
- Better communication and interaction with the Gulfport Police Department's Community Relation’s Division
- Business Watch advisories on crime trends in your area
- Network with other area businesses
- Offer employee training and education
- Garner publicity and community goodwill for your establishment
Why join Business Watch?
The Business Watch program offers the following free benefits:
- Registration of your business with the Police Department so we can contact you immediately if there is a problem at your business after regular business hours
- Help in dealing with panhandlers and other loiterers who scare off customers
- Security inspections of your business by Police Department experts
- Personal safety presentations for your employees
- Guest speakers for business association meetings
- Invitations to Business Watch seminars on such topics as Robbery, Forgery/Fraud, Shoplifting, and Identify Theft
- E-mail notifications of crime trends affecting your business
Fill out the online form below or print one here to mail or fax to us.