Citizen Police Academy
What is Citizen Police Academy?
The Gulfport Police Department recognizes that education has been most effective in gaining understanding and support from the community. The Citizen Police Academy offers citizens insights into how police officers perform their duties and how the department serves the community.
Mission of the Academy
The purpose of the Citizen Police Academy is to foster better communication between citizens and police through education. The Academy will create a nucleus of well-informed citizens who possess greater insight into police practices and services. Graduates of the Academy can share their knowledge and experiences with the community as the opportunity arises. Everyone benefits from enhancing citizen understanding of the role and function of their police department. Course Description Instruction consists of one 3-hour class held each week for a duration of twelve weeks. This instruction is comprehensive, covering a different area of the Division of Police each week. Certified police officers, supervisors, and civilian instructors with particular expertise will conduct each topic. Classes are limited to 24 citizen attendees. All classes are free.
- Criminal Law
- Patrol Procedures
- Emergency Response
- Internal Affairs
- Media/Public Relations
- Accident Reconstruction
- Criminal Investigations
- Crime Scene Processing
- Family Abuse/Juvenile Procedures
- Community Services
- Crime Stoppers
- Defensive Tactics
- Firearms Automated Training System
- Tactical Traffic Stops
- Driving Simulator
A vital part of the Academy is participation in role playing and scenarios. These simulations will provide an opportunity for a unique "hands-on" learning experience. Students will also have the option, on a voluntary basis, to tour with a patrol officer, a CPR course, and take a tour of the Gulfport Police Department.
Who may attend the Academy?
- Any interested citizen who resides or works in the City of Gulfport is encouraged to attend. Citizens involved with the Gulfport community in some way, such as youth involvement, neighborhood watch, and neighborhood groups are very important to the Academy.
- Citizens 18 years of age or older.
- Citizens with no prior felony convictions.
When is the Academy?
The Gulfport CPA is held twice a year: Spring and Fall
- Spring Session: March - May on Thursday evenings at 6:00 p.m.
- Fall Session: September - November on Thursday evenings at 6:00 p.m.
How do I apply to the Citizen Police Academy?
For more information, please contact:
FAX: (228) 868-5837
ALL COURSES ARE FREE! CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED - APPLY NOW!