Water & Sewer
- Receiving and processing all customer complaint calls and work orders taken by other departments.
- Notifying customers by T.V., radio, newspaper, or door hangers of upcoming projects where service will be interrupted.
- Maintaining wells and chlorination equipment to provide an ample supply of potable water.
- Flushing dead end lines and lines that feed low consumption areas to provide fresh potable water.
- Repairing leaks that occur in the City of Gulfport Water and Sewer system.
Maintaining, removing and installing new water lines, fire hydrants, sewer lines and manholes as needed.
- Installing water meters as requested by the Water Billing Department for new accounts or to replace a non-functioning meter.
- Collecting water samples for the Mississippi Department of Health to ensure potable water that meets EPA/EPD safe drinking water requirements.
- Providing assistance in preparing the Consumer Confidence Report and the Cross Connection/Backflow Program.
- Installing water and sewer taps where required by application for service to new areas.
- Reviewing and approving “will serve” requests from the Water Billing Department or customers.
- Providing line location in areas where needed.
- Providing cost estimates for water tap fees and sewer tap fees.
- Maintaining and cleaning sewer lift station controls, pumps, motors, and floats.
- Pressure washing sewer lines to allow proper flow.
- Vacuuming sewer lift stations to remove grease and debris.
- Locating sewer lines/taps by map measurement, camera investigation of lines, and physically exposing lines.
- Performing smoke testing, identifying storm water infiltration, repairing problem or requiring customer to make necessary repairs if on private property.
- Reviewing commercial site plans for water and sewer availability and determining cost estimates on projects.
- Perform yard maintenance for well and lift station grounds.