What if I have a code violation?

You will be contacted by one of the following methods:

  1. Code Enforcement will leave a sticker (typically orange) on your door or other conspicuous location, or
  2. Code Enforcement will make contact via telephone, or
  3. Notice of Code Violation will be sent via regular mail, or
  4. Letter to appear before City Council will be sent via regular mail.

Note: The Notice of Code Violation and Council letter provides the following information:

  1. Type of violation and Ordinance Number or Zoning Regulation.
  2. Appropriate Remedies or Corrections that should be made.
  3. Length of time allowed for resolution of the issue.

Regardless of the method of notification, the Code Office encourages citizens to contact our office. We will explain any violation noted and work with you through resolution.

Enforcement Methods

In most cases, the person responsible for a Code Violation is provided an opportunity to voluntarily comply with the law.  Once the date noted in the Compliance Request has passed, the owner or responsible person is subject to the following:

  • Issuance of a Citation/Summons If you received a Notice of Code Violation and the violation has not been corrected during the time allotted, a Citation/Summons to appear at Municipal/Environmental Court may be issued.  If a Citation/Summons is issued, it is under the jurisdiction of the court from that point forward.  The Code Office does not have the authority to:
    1. Change the court date, or
    2. Stop the hearing process
  • City Council Hearing If you received a letter stating when your violation will be heard before the City Council, you have the right to appear and state your case as to why your property is not in violation of City Ordinances or Zoning Regulations.
    At this hearing, the City Council will be asked to adjudicate that your property is in a state of uncleanliness or a menace to the health, safety and welfare of the community.  The adjudication will also authorize the following:

    1. The City of Gulfport to re-enter the property for a period of one year without any further hearing if notice is posted on your property and city hall (a minimum of (7) seven days prior to re-entering the property for resolution of the same type of violation.
    2. The City of Gulfport to advertise for bids to perform the necessary corrective actions.

    Note:  All cost incurred will be assessed to the property.