The City of Gulfport values our employees and their families. Recognizing the impact of benefits in our employees’ lives, and striving to meet employees’ needs, the City makes a significant investment in employee benefits as an important part of each employee’s total compensation.


2017 Health Insurance Addendums:

2015 Insurance Addendum

National PPO Directory (which includes medical providers and facilities outside of Mississippi) @

    • Approximately 5,000 Hospitals participate nationwide.
    • Approximately 550,000 doctors and health care professionals participate nationwide.
    • 98% of the U.S. population has access to a provider in the First Health Network.
    • Download memo

Some hospitals of interest that participate in First Health:

    • Ochsner Foundation Hospital- New Orleans, LA
    • Ochsner Medical Center- Northshore- Sildell, LA
    • USA Children’s and Women’s Hospital- Mobile, AL
    • UAB Hospital- Birmingham, AL
    • MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
    • Mayo Clinic- Rochester, NY
    • Johns Hopkins Hospital- Baltimore, MD
  • Enhanced (Discounted) Pharmacy Program (updated 2018)

Effective January 1, 2017, you can receive discounted prescriptions by having your prescriptions filled at the following pharmacies.  

Jackson’s Discount Pharmacy Beach Pharmacy 11340 Three River Road # A 1110 Cowan Road Gulfport, MS   39503 Gulfport, MS   39507 228-832-8000 228-896-7070
T-D Pharmacy French Drug Company 12372 Highway 49 400 E. Pass Road #1 Gulfport, MS    39503 Gulfport, MS 39503 228-832-1414 228-896-5656 Triplett Day Drug Co. Long Beach Drugs 2429 14th Street 20144 Beatline Road, Suite F Gulfport, MS   39501 Long Beach, MS   39560 228-863-2363 228-822-9868 Sartins Discount Drugs Love’s Pharmacy 4300 15th St, Suite 1 12345 Vidalia Road Gulfort, MS 39501 Pass Christian, MS 39571    228-864-3514 228-255-7800    

Sometimes referred to as a cafeteria plan, or a Section 125 Plan, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) lets employees set aside a certain amount of each paycheck into an account – before paying income taxes.

During the year, participants have access to this account for reimbursement of expenses – not covered by insurance – which they regularly pay for such as:

  • Deductibles, co-pays, and other eligible expenses not covered by insurance (see the attached list for more detailed information)
  • Prescription drugs and medical supplies
  • Dental services, orthodontics, and dentures
  • Eyeglasses, contacts, solutions, and eye surgery
  • Psychiatric care and psychologists’ fees
  • Smoking cessation programs and over-the-counter drugs
  • Preschool and child daycare expenses (for dependents under age 13)


  • How much can I contribute to my FSA? You may contribute as little as $5 per pay period up to $2600 per year for your FSA Health account and as much as $5000 per year for your FSA Dependent Care Account.
  • How do I get my money back? Debit cards are issued in place of filing for FSA medical reimbursements. Should you wish not to use the debit card, you can file a paper claim to Select Administrative Services for reimbursement. You pay upfront for your medical/dependent care and submit a claim form and receipts for reimbursement. A check is issued to you in the amount of eligible expenses, up to your annual election. Checks are issued weekly by SAS. Claim forms are submitted in the plan year, which begins January 1st and ends December 31st.
  • What happens if I don’t use all the money in my FSA account? Each time you submit a claim, you can go online to determine the balance of your FSA account. If you haven’t used all your money by the last day of the month of the plan year, you can rollover $500 or less to the next plan year. However, anything over $500 that is not spent during the current plan year will be forfeited back to the employer.
  • How do I estimate my expenses? When estimating your expenses, use this worksheet to help. It is best to estimate low the first year you participate in the FSA to ensure that you don’t contribute more than you will spend. You can always increase your contributions next year.
  • When employees use tax-free dollars to pay for these expenses, they realize an increase in their spending power and substantial tax savings!
  • SAS – FSA Claim Form

Supplemental Insurance
The City of Gulfport has partnered with Lincoln and Unum to offer supplemental insurance to employees at discounted rates. If an employee chooses to enroll in an AFLAC policy, insurance premiums can be payroll deducted. Employees must self-enroll by calling 228.832.8853.

Lincoln Financial Group
Voluntary Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability

Effective January 1, 2017, our Voluntary Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability is now with Lincoln Financial Group. You can register on Lincoln Financial to view your coverage information on their website. Click here to view instructions on how to register.

  • To view policy certificates for coverage through Lincoln Financial Group, click on these PDF links below:
  • Life Lincoln Financial Group provides the City of Gulfport with $50,000 term life or accidental death & dismemberment insurance to each eligible employee. This benefit is provided at no cost to employees. To view the policy certificate, click the link below:
  • Employee Assistance Program
    In today’s fast-paced world, juggling work and your personal life—and all the associated demands and pressures—can feel overwhelming. Fortunately, you have somewhere to turn—the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Employee Connect, is offered through Lincoln Financial Group.
    Employee Connect is a free program offered to our employees to help individuals resolve personal problems before they negatively affect health, relationships, or job performance.
    The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides confidential assistance for employees and their families to receive assistance with personal matters. You can contact the EAP 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, by simply calling one toll-free number at 888-628-4824.
    Using services provided by Lincoln Financial Group is confidential and is neither tracked electronically nor reported to City of Gulfport. Confidentiality is a vital part of the program’s success. Your participation in the program will be treated confidentially in accordance with all state and federal laws.
    You can learn more about all the services available to you by clicking here to view the Lincoln brochure. You can also register on Lincoln Financial website by visiting Username= LFGsupport; Password= LFGsupport1).

Sun Life Financial
Effective January 1, 2021, our group carrier for Accident, Critical Illness, and Hospital Indemnity benefit is through Sun Life Financial. Click here to register for access to your benefits and claims.
To view plan highlights for coverage through Sun Life Financial, click on the PDF links below:

Paid Time Off

Holiday Pay
City employees received 10 paid holidays per year observed on the following dates. Employees who are scheduled to work on these holidays are compensated by receiving 1.5 times their regular hourly pay rate during those hours worked.

Fire & Police shift personnel may accrue Holiday Comp Time – or paid time off in lieu of holiday pay. Holiday Comp Time can be used as annual leave, but cannot be cashed out upon resignation.

Annual Leave

  • City employees accrue 18 days of leave per year up to 3 years. After an employee’s 3rd anniversary, the accrual rate is graduated according to the specified accrual rate.
  • After one year of employment, an employee who leaves the City may “cash-out” up to 240 hours of annual leave upon their resignation date.

Sick Leave

  • Employees accrue sick leave at the rate of 8 hours per month for the first 3 years of employment. After the employee’s 3rd anniversary. the accrual rate is graduated according to the specified accrual rate.
  • Sick leave cannot be “cashed out” upon an employee’s resignation but can be certified to PERS.

Bereavement Leave

  • In the event of the death of an immediate family member, an employee may receive 24 hours of bereavement leave to be taken on the day of the funeral service and to make necessary arrangements beforehand.
  • An employee may not take Bereavement Leave in the days following the funeral service but may take Annual Leave as approved by his or her Department Director.

School Leave

  • Employees with school-aged dependents and grandparents are eligible for 4 hours of School Leave per year. School Leave is designed to allow employees and grandparents time to attend school functions with his or her (grand)children.

Military Leave

  • Employees who serve in the Armed Forced either on active duty or in reserves are granted Military Leave when they receive orders to report for duty.
  • Employees taking Military Leave should present a copy of their orders to their Department Directors and to the Human Resources Department.
  • Employees on Military Leave will receive 15 days of paid leave not experience a loss of seniority or pay during their service time and will continue to accrue benefits while on paid leave (including Annual and Sick Leave).

PERS/Deferred Comp Overview

  • The Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi (PERS) is the retirement system for eligible public employees who work as regular employees for state agencies, universities, community colleges, public schools, as well as certain counties and cities in the state of Mississippi.
  • Membership in PERS is a benefit afforded to eligible public employees of member agencies and is financed by contributions made by the employees and their employers and the earnings on these contributions.
  • Participation in PERS is required for all full-time and part-time plus employees of the City of Gulfport. Certain part-time employees may also be required to participate in the plan.
  • PERS Website

Workman’s Comp

  • If you are injured on the job, it is important to let us know. Immediately report the injury to your manager or supervisor, or if he/she is not available, the next person in your chain of command. If the injury requires non-emergency medical attention, report to the employee clinic. If you require emergency care, report to the nearest hospital’s emergency room.
    You must also complete a first report of injury form within 24 hours of the injury and forward it to Human Resources.
  • First Report of Injury Form