The City of Gulfport Department of Technology & Information is accepting applications for a Computer Support Specialist.
The Computer Support Specialist installs, modifies, and makes minor repairs to computer hardware and software systems and provides technical assistance and training to system users.
Essential Job Functions
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, May include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Installs, configures, and upgrades operating systems and software, using standard business and administrative packages; may modify specific applications for use in operational departments.
- Installs, assembles and configures computers, monitors, network infrastructure, and peripherals such as printers, scanners, and related hardware; pulls cables and rewires or directs the rewiring of cables as required for new installations and office reconfiguration.
- Troubleshoots problems with computer systems, including troubleshooting hardware and software, e-mail, network, and peripheral equipment problems; makes repairs and corrections where required.
- Acts as a technical resource in assisting users to resolve problems with equipment and data; staffs a centralized help desk to facilitate the exchange of information and advice; implements solutions or notifies outsource providers as required.
- Assists in instructing City staff in the use of standard business and administrative software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and database management; provides instruction or written documentation where required.
- Maintains current knowledge of hardware, software, and network technology and recommends modifications as necessary.
- Provides updates, status, and completion information to manager, problem request tracking system, and/or users, via voice mail, e-mail, or in-person communication.
- Refers major hardware problems to service personnel for correction.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must possess the required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of computer hardware, software, and peripherals such as central processing units, servers, monitors, cables, network systems, printers, plotters, and modems.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the functions, operations, and technology related to City financial, business, and administrative applications and related hardware and software.
- Has knowledge of current technology related to City applications, networks, and telecommunications and the equipment and software required to maximize system support.
- Understands procedures for installing, configuring, upgrading, troubleshooting, and repairing applicable software, hardware and peripherals.
- Has in-depth knowledge of principles, practices, hardware, and software related to the establishment and maintenance of LAN’s and WAN’s.
- Possess the verbal skills necessary for explaining technical concepts and procedures to non-technical users.
- Must possess knowledge of installing, configuring, and upgrading operating systems and software.
- Possesses the knowledge and ability of installing, configuring, assembling, and repairing computers, monitors, network infrastructure, and peripherals such as printers and related hardware.
- Must be able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Must possess the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Must possess the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be able to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to completion of two years of college-level coursework in computer science, information technology or a related field and two years of general computer installation, maintenance and repair experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
Licenses or Certificates
A+ and Microsoft certifications preferred.
For more information contact:
Rick Fisher, Director – Technology & Information Management | firstname.lastname@example.org